09 August 2010

Long Drive to Hua Hin

It's been months since I did a really long drive. Due to some recent unforeseen circumstances, I was unable to join the JSG gang for their drives to Krabi and Kuantan. I heard the roads to Kuantan are lovely. Daisy has been idling around for too long and not getting a good work out. With all the recent work done on the intake and the acquisition of the M3 rims, I was eager to see how she will fare on a long drive. Unfortunately, she developed some minor transmission problems before we left. It seems that there is some slippage but it was rather minor. I was hoping it wouldn't fail along the way but it did got worse. Not surprising since we were going flat out to set a record for the fastest time to get to Phuket from Singapore. The drive was beautiful, as always. The most painful part of the drive was from Krabi to Hua Hin. The roads were full of trucks hogging the right lane and traffic was really bad. The rain made things worse and at one stage, I had to stop to clean the headlights because they were covered with mud and I couldn't really see the road for more than 10 metres. These are the perils one has to bear with when doing a drive like that. It took me almost 7 hours to reach Hua Hin from Krabi when it would normally take about 4 to 5. Daisy was filthy when we got to Hua Hin. On top of that, she had chip marks all over the bonnet, side mirrors and side panelling. I am deciding whether I should re-spray the whole car to Le Mans blue when I get back to Singapore. But, the thought that the new paint job would go bad again after a long drive prompted me to think otherwise. I will probably touch up the damaged areas. The transmission needs to be replaced completely. That is going to cost a bomb but the car will be like new again after the change. We had little time to stop and take pictures along the way. So, these are the only pictures.